Windows Mobile 6.1 malloc hook

Mar 18, 2009 at 6:35 AM
Can I compile EasyHook in Compact Framework/Windows Mobile environment?
I would like to redirect/inject my own version of malloc and free functions so that it allocate memory in storage card but not in main memory.

I'm currently facing problem while browsing internet using pocket IE. The main memory used up very quickly after navigating 4 to 5 level away from the initial site. The images will not be displayed if the main memory below 3mb. I have to restart pocket IE in order for the images to be able to display.

I assume that after override those memory allocation function, the problems will be solved.
I notice that EasyHook use some assembly code. Are there any differences in opcode between intel processor and ARM processor?

If cross process hook not availaible, how about own process? Can I write a browser in C# using webbrowser control and redirect those memory allocation functions used by webbrowser control?

Thanks.
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2009 at 8:27 AM
Edited Mar 18, 2009 at 8:30 AM
> Can I compile EasyHook in Compact Framework/Windows Mobile environment?

If the pocket PC is compatible to the x86 instruction set, then it should be possible, at least with some modifications. But ARM in fact isn't!

> Are there any differences in opcode between intel processor and ARM processor?

Yes...

> Can I write a browser in C# using webbrowser control and redirect those memory allocation functions used by webbrowser control?

should work in theory because it is embedded using COM interop. But after all you probably won't be able to compile EasyHook on Windows Mobile.